RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS
- Breast fed your baby immediately after birth if possible. The newborn is very alert right after delivery followed by a period of sleep.
- Work on latching technique in the hospital with the lactation specialist.
- Drink plenty of water – at least 64 ounces. Every time you sit down to nurse drink a glass of water.
- Eat a variety of foods plus nutritious snacks between meals.
- Continue taking your daily prenatal vitamin while nursing.
- Limit your caffeine intake to two beverages or less a day.
- Before taking any over the counter medication, consult your pediatrician.
- Avoid smoking while nursing.